[asterisk-users] long distance ethernet & Asterisk

Brian Vincent (C) VincentB at coppercolorado.com
Thu Jul 27 15:29:41 MST 2006

I know.. I know... fiber would be ideal.  We have single-mode all over the place.  We even have some dark, unterminated strands within 2000ft of this location - it makes me want to cry.  Unfortunately lighting it up isn't an option - we wouldn't gain anything because we couldn't connect to anything else to get us the last stretch.  Trenching 2000ft isn't an option - this is National Forest land and we're not allowed to do that.

As far as wireless - no line of sight.  This location sits in a little bowl at 11,200'.

So what I'm left with is a 400pr, 22awg out to 3000'.  Then we jump on 200pr, 24awg aerial cable strung on the 3rd longest high-speed quad chairlift (10,800' run).  The last leg involves a short underground to another high-speed quad and down 6000'.  We can stick a powered repeater in the motor room of the first lift (so I guess a bit further than the original 12,000' I was thinking.)

Yes, we do strange things.

If you're really curious, here's a map of the campus environment we maintain:

http://www.skireport.com/colorado/copper/trailmap/

Brian Vincent
Copper Mountain Telecom
vincentb at coppercolorado.com