[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940/60 failed to take SIP image from tftp server

Davin O'Neill doneill at mitre.org
Tue Apr 5 09:42:20 MST 2005

I have been trying.so far unsuccessfully to load a SIP image (2.1 first) on
my Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones.  I know this is a popular topic and common
problem and have looked at various resources including Cisco's
documentation, wiki and this user group.  I have followed all the steps as
illustrated in these references:

 <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx>
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a008
0094584.shtml#topic2>
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a0080
094584.shtml#topic2

I have the following files in my /tftpboot folder.

OS79XX.TXT

P0S30201.bin

SIPmac_address.cnf

SIPDefault.cnf

I have verified that my tftp server is running by using a tftp client on the
same host.  I was able to 'get' the files with my tftp client

The OS79XX.TXT and SIPDefault.cnf both point to the P0S30201 image.

When monitoring the network traffic with tcpdump I see the phone hunting for
these files:

OS79XX.TXT

SEPmac.cnf.xml

XMLDefault.cnf.xml

SEPmac.cnf

SEPDefault.cnf

The phone simply will not take the SIP image from the tftp server.  The
phone will cycle through and keep requesting the above files.

I found this messages in /var/log/messages

xinetd[25674]: warning: can't get client address: Transport endpoint is not
connected

I didn't find any other tftp related messages in the log file.  Is there
somewhere else I should be looking?

Any assistance or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!