[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Performance Results

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Nov 16 20:16:26 CST 2007

On 11/17/07, Zoa <zoachien at securax.org> wrote:

> I would like to comment on my own post, unlike signate before in 2006 ,
> according to their pdf they did do their homework and used a setting new
> to sipp: :make pcapplay"instead of the echo mode. which should fix that,
> and reinvite is set to no, so i cannot find any flaws in the test setup,
> however i would still like to see pps measurements, i still can't
> believe linux can handle that amount of packets per second in userlevel
> on that type of hardware. (based on my own measurements from years ago
> on a dual xeon - not dual core)

the 5140 is a woodcrest, while its a xeon its slightly different from other
xeons.  It can do that level (even the 2.0Ghz one has done more than that,
which is what I got over a year ago now).   If you look, as I pointed out in
a different email, the bandwidth used on the asterisk server section (page
48-50) is at most 16MB or 128Mbps, if you were to divide that down to
packets you would see something about like 80k pps or one roughly every 750
usec (T1 does 1 every 125usec).  Unless I did something wrong in my math, I
think its doable.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200