[Asterisk-biz] Re: Truly Unlimited DID's

smbPBX smbpbx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:36:46 MST 2005

Matt:
I agree with Lee's last comment. It is the choice of the word "screwed" It
is a business model decision and you may decide not to offer that model.

One more point: I find most "unlimited" offerrings to be deceptive even if
they disclose it in fine print in their TOS. I must say that I have found
some that explain "unlimited" very clearly on the same page.
Kanti

On 6/3/05, Lee Barken <barken at rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote:

> hi Matt,
> I simply object to the term "screwed". I don't object at all if I pay
> for an "unlimited" soup and salad bar and I only eat one plate.
> Restaurants that use the "all you can eat" model have some profitable
> customers and some unprofitable customers. That's how their business
> model operates. I understand your point and I appreciate your ethical
> approach that you don't want to take advantage of customers. I simply
> questioned the use of the term "screwed".
>
> Best,
> -Lee
>

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Matthew Simpson wrote:
>
> > > From: Lee Barken <barken at rohan.sdsu.edu>
> > >
> > > hi Matt,
> > > I understand your concern and subsequent logic regarding unlimited
> > > services. My only comment is that business people take *risks*.
> > > Hopefully, the are calculated risks. When a provider sells an
> unlimited
> > > service, they are assuming the risk that the transaction may be
> > > unprofitable. I don't think anybody is getting "screwed" in this
> > > situation.
> >
> > You're not getting the point. Sure you can say that it is the provider
> > taking the risk that they can screw their customer by selling them an
> > unlimited service that costs more than if they bought it metered. But
> > somebody is STILL GETTING SCREWED [the customer]. Personally I don't
> like
> > doing business in which I am screwing a customer, even if my "risk" pays
> off
> > and I end up better off for it.
> >
> > > Either the venture is profitable or unprofitable. It reminds
> > > me of companies like AOL or Netzero who offer "unlimited" Internet
> access.
> > > Over time, these companies become very good at estimating the
> aggregate
> > > usage patterns of many thousands of users.
> >
> > No, they don't offer "unlimited". They ADVERTISE unlimited but you'll
> find
> > that if you leave your connection up 24/7 you'll get bumped off after a
> 4
> > hour period, and after a while you'll either hit a hard limit, or you'll
> be
> > forced to upgrade to a higher class of service. We sell dialup wholesale
> at
> > TxLink, and everyone last one of our clients that offers "unlimited" to
> > their end-users has a hard-limit set in their backoffice, and most of
> them
> > have 4 hour session timers [some are generous and give 8].
> >
> > > Sure, some customers will use
> > > more services and some customers will use less services, but the idea
> is
> > > to price your offer accordly, such that the net result is a profitable
> > > enterprise. If a company does a poor job of estimating and projecting
> > > usage patterns, my hope is that they will not feel "screwed", but
> instead
> [...]

Regards,

smbPBX