[Dundi] Multihomed machines and dundi

Joe Abley jabley at automagic.org
Mon Oct 25 10:52:48 CDT 2004

On 25 Oct 2004, at 10:57, steve at daviesfam.org wrote:

> I notice that the "${IPADDR}" in Dundi mappings is the IP address
> associated with the machine's hostname.
>
> I'd like to tweak Dundi's responses and substitute a different and
> better
> address depending on the originator of the lookup query.
>
> So if someone in 165.165/16 queries me, I want to use my address on
> that
> network and suchlike.

A more manageable approach is to deal with this in the routing system,
and to multi-home your site rather than an individual host.

> PS: Doesn't this use of the address in the protocol mean that Dundi is
> going to struggle to work through NAT?  And the caching of the IP
> address
> makes for problems with dynamic addresses too.

It doesn't seem sensible to me for anybody to plan to use this with NAT
or a dynamic address, for more or less the same reasons as people don't
generally use NAT or dynamic addresses with any other server which
services clients on the Internet.

Joe