[Dundi] number assignement

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Oct 20 15:51:13 CDT 2004

Florian Overkamp wrote:

>Hi,

If this is the only way to establish numbers, it doesn't really solve
this problem:

== snip ==
2. ENUM requires some entity to provide the service of managing the root
ENUM domain (e.g. e164.arpa) and requires authorities for each
delegation (e.g. a single entity must be responsible for
6.5.2.1.e164.arpa and provide any delegations thereof). This entity is
free to impose a charge, tax, etc for this service and everyone is
dependent upon how well this entity runs the service.
== snip ==

Because in this case, you are still at the mercy of some monopoly to
administer to you an ITU plan number.  (yes, you can then create as many
suffixes as you want with your scheme, for no additional cost, but the
same would be true if you had 6.5.2.1.e164.arpa assigned to you..

(sorry if I've been playing devil's advocate here)..

-SteveK