[Asterisk-video] Video bandwidth consumption

Sergio Garcia Murillo sergio.garcia at fontventa.com
Mon Mar 15 04:19:58 CDT 2010

Hi Salvatore,

VLC is ok, the problem is that you are not using it for what it was
designed for, video streaming has nothing to do with real time
communications.

You can try to get better results by tweaking the following ffmpeg
parameters in vlc for H263:

    * *qmin=<quantizer>* allows to set the minimum quantizer scale;
    * *qmax=<quantizer>* allows to set the maximum quantizer scale;
    * *qscale=<quantizer scale>* allows to specify a fixed quantizer
      scale for VBR encodings;
    * *i-quant-factor=<quantization factor>* allows to set the
      quantization factor of I frames, compared to P frames;

Set qmin=qmax=qscale=31 and *i-quant-factor=1 *to get the minimum
quality possible (and minimum bandwidth). Anyway, using VLC you are
going to get a much lower quality compared with an encoder prepared for
CBR and RTC.

Best regards
Sergio