[Asterisk-video] H324M/3G video call recording quality

Ram rramani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 07:26:06 CDT 2010

Kalimutu,

If the video from the phone is of bad quality, there's nothing much you can
do. The quality of the video is dependent on the rate control algorithm and
in the 3g TDM world with 64 kbps total BW available, you cannot expect super
quality. One thing you probably can do is reduce the framerate,so that the
more bits are allocated to a frame and better quality is produced. But I am
not sure whether phones honor the framerate parameter during signaling. You
can try, or try if you can set the framerate using the 3g phone settings.

Ram.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Kalimutu Singh <botachek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using mp4save to record directly from a 3G phone. I thought H245
> negotiation would always be required regardless of whether phone-to-phone or
> phone-to-asterisk. Please enlighten me on how to establish video calls
> without involving H245 nego in the case of phone-to-asterisk.
>
> Anyway, if both phones are same model, I think the quality might be better
> since both would has same H245 capabilities. Unfortunately I do not have a
> pair of same-model 3G phones to do such testing here. From my experience,
> even for phone-to-phone video calls using phones of same brand(Nokia N73 +
> Nokia C5), the quality is pretty bad too.
>
> Regards,
> Kalimutu
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Dan Julius <dan.julius at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why should phone 2 phone quality suffer while recording? This shouldn't
>> require any transcoding.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>  On Aug 22, 2010 4:35 PM, "Ram" <rramani at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> kalimutu,
>>
>> r u transcoding the video or it is a direct record from a 3g phone. If
>> It's direct record, as Dan suggested, it depends on the encoding
>> capabilities of each phone. If the encoding is hardware based, you can't do
>> much. One other thing I've found is that whe I do phone to phone video
>> calls, quality is great, but if you do the H.245 negotiation and try to
>> record to your device, then quality suffers.
>>
>> Ram.

>>> recording qualit...

>> --
>> Ram