[Asterisk-video] Play and Record videos in Asterisk

Sharan Saxena ssaxena at devfoundry.com
Wed Jun 4 08:44:48 CDT 2008

Dear List Members,
                  I am trying to play videos in Asterisk. I understand that
Playback() and Background() functions can play videos in .h263 and .3gp
format. In my extensions.conf, I put a call like:
	exten=> 600,n,Playback(testvideo)           ;testvideo.h263 is a
file which which plays in VLC media player

I get an error saying "Unable to open testvideo format 0x4 (ulaw)".

I have made changes to my sip.conf,
	videosupport = yes
	allow=ulaw
	allow=alaw
	allow=h261
	allow=h263
	allow=h263p
	allow=h264

I tried recording a video using Asterisk Record() function, and then tried
playing it using Playback(), but was unable to succeed.

Though my files get played in VLC media player, I am not sure whether they
are the right set for Asterisk.

I would request members on the list to kindly guide me to the correct
steps/examples/videos which play in Asterisk, so as to enable me to play
videos in Asterisk.

Thanks for your help,
Best Regards
Sharan