RE: [Asterisk-video] Simple vidéo conference

John Martin John.Martin at AuPix.com
Tue Jun 12 15:20:26 CDT 2007

Hi All,
  Just thought I'd chip in and mention that we have Continuous Presence working in a derivative app_conference for H.263, H.261 and H.264 - up to 16 participants per conference. We're using our own codecs I'm afraid so can't share much of what we've done. But just to let you know that app_conference has made a good platform from which to work. And before anyone gets all upset - we do give back as well as take (T.140, VIDEOCAPS, Maxcallbitrate etc).
  We did find a number of deadlocks in app_conference that were're working on producing a patch for - hopefully Mihai will be able to review them when we've completed the patch and benefit everyone.
  We've found that a Core2Duo 2.2GHz can do up to 16 way H.263 CIF conference - assuming there are a few common sets of video bitrate/resolutions that need to be encoded. For example that would be 16 decodes, typically 4 encodes but only one view, so only one composition and scaling session required. We had to use a lot of MMX/SSE to get the performance but it can be done. We found this to be a similar performance to OpenMCU.

  Sorry for the delay in getting this to you Mihai.

John