[Asterisk-video] sip/iax2 h.264 video?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Dec 19 03:52:03 MST 2006

Tyler Daniel wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 10:04 +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
>

>>http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.4/doc/video.txt?view=markup
>

> Hi, thanks for the link.  I guess what I find confusing is:  various
> documentation says that both sip and iax2 support video calls in the 1.4
> series, but most comments on this list are to the effect that video in
> iax2 is "severely broken."  Does this mean perhaps that video calls can
> be made to happen, but the mechanism [particularly the negotiation
> protocol] needs improvement to be more robust/clean/effective?

Well, please understand that this is a technical development
mailing list. We seek out bugs and work to kill them and can't
be treated as normal users, since the bugs is what drives us and,
well, makes us happy in a weird way. You may call us nerds. :-)

IAX2 video works for some calls, but not for the things we are
trying to do here, improve things to support many video formats
and many different codecs. On a local lan with normal SIP video
phones, you might get everything to work properly with 1.2.
Interoperability is the goal, on everything from small size video
from 3G phones to large screens on high end VoIP video phones.
In that regards, the IAX2 protocol is broken in many ways and
needs a change in both the specification and the implementation.

/O