[Asterisk-video] sip/iax2 h.264 video?

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Tue Dec 19 08:14:50 MST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 4:04 AM, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> During the Paris Asterisk Video Task Force meeting it was agreed that
> video in IAX2 as a protocol is severly broken, in many ways. When I
> reported that to Mark the only comment was "I look forward to your
> patches"... Obviously, this wasn't important.

Obviously IAX2 is not a priority for Digium right now.  In a way it
is understandable, with the industry standardizing on SIP.  But there
are a few people that still believe that IAX2 is more efficient than
SIP/RTP, so if anything is to be done, it will probably have to come
from the community.

IAX2 is important for our product line so we have a vested interest
in seeing it evolve.  If nobody is leading this effort then I'll
probably step up and just do it. But before I jump into it, is there
anybody who is working on it? Anybody at Digium who is the "keeper"
of IAX2?

Mihai