[Asterisk-video] sip/iax2 h.264 video?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Dec 19 02:04:30 MST 2006

Tyler Daniel wrote:

>> It's not a matter of which codec as much as a matter of codec
>> negotiation.  the IAX2 protocol was designed to negotiate only one
>> codec at a time.  With video, you need to negotiate two codecs in
>> parallel (one for video and one for audio).  I posted more details
>> about it on this list, you can look for it in the archives.
>
> I read your earlier posts about lack of negotiation capabilities in
> asterisk..  I guess I'm a little confused about the current state of
> affairs..  Maybe you can enlighten me:  is any type of video call using
> iax2 possible in any publicly available version of asterisk?  If it's
> only possible using your 1.4 patches/hacks, are those available anywhere?

The Asterisk Core handles video, so in theory all channels that has
video support will handle it - in passthrough mode.

> I've googled and found lots of vague comments that asterisk passes
> through video with no option for transcoding, which is fine by me... I
> assumed that this meant there is a way to do video, but maybe only when
> using sip?  Also references to patches backported to the 1.2 series that
> I have yet to find... very confusing.
We don't have a habit of making a release version unstable by
backporting new bugs to it. New bugs, meaning new features, are
introduced in new versions of Asterisk. Asterisk 1.2 has video support,
mostly in SIP, that has been enhanced in the coming 1.4 release.

reading docs is better than google to get definitive answers.

http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.4/doc/video.txt?view=markup

We have cleared up a lot of issues in 1.4 and are still working on more
additions to trunk - see the videocaps branch
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/oej/videocaps/

During the Paris Asterisk Video Task Force meeting it was agreed that
video in IAX2 as a protocol is severly broken, in many ways. When I
reported that to Mark the only comment was "I look forward to your
patches"... Obviously, this wasn't important.

/Olle