[Asterisk-video] sip/iax2 h.264 video?

Tyler Daniel tyler at rosette-research.com
Tue Dec 19 01:36:03 MST 2006

> It's not a matter of which codec as much as a matter of codec
> negotiation.  the IAX2 protocol was designed to negotiate only one
> codec at a time.  With video, you need to negotiate two codecs in
> parallel (one for video and one for audio).  I posted more details
> about it on this list, you can look for it in the archives.
I read your earlier posts about lack of negotiation capabilities in
asterisk..  I guess I'm a little confused about the current state of
affairs..  Maybe you can enlighten me:  is any type of video call using
iax2 possible in any publicly available version of asterisk?  If it's
only possible using your 1.4 patches/hacks, are those available anywhere?

I've googled and found lots of vague comments that asterisk passes
through video with no option for transcoding, which is fine by me... I
assumed that this meant there is a way to do video, but maybe only when
using sip?  Also references to patches backported to the 1.2 series that
I have yet to find... very confusing.

Thanks for all the quick replies, it's a great help!

Tyler