[asterisk-users] Geolocation/E911

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon May 23 15:25:48 CDT 2022

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Sebastian Nielsen <sebastian at sebbe.eu>
wrote:

> What are you talking about exactly?
>

> What I have understand, E911 geo information is sent “out of band” when
> 911 is called.
>

> So the question is, is you operating a 911 call centre – then you should
> have this information at hand already how to access this information.
>

> Or are it the opposite, you want to send geocoded information about SIP
> handset location to a E911 service when 911 is called? (that you want to
> embed in the outgoing body when 911 is called)?
>

> I think gaining access to these types of E911 API’s requires you being a
> SIP operator – and if you are a SIP operator with a number plan already,
> you should already have access to these types of API from the beginning and
> how to use them.

There are specifications for conveying location information dynamically in
the SIP INVITE to an upstream provider, which uses pidf+xml alongside SDP
in the INVITE. This allows you to provide the address, floor, room,
longitude/latitude dynamically with the call. You can see what it looks
like on the Bandwidth site[1]. It is a standard though, not specific to
them.

[1]
https://support.bandwidth.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006080074-E911-Dynamic-Location-Routing-integration-and-testing-guide

--