[asterisk-users] Installing and configuring Opus?

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Jul 11 11:16:57 CDT 2022

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 1:14 PM Brant Merryman <brant.merryman at mixhalo.com>
wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I am recently beginning to work with Asterisk. I am using version 18.3.0
> on Ubuntu 20.04. I have the Hello World example running and I am able to
> connect to Asterisk using Zoiper on a Mac to test it.
>
> The next thing I would like to do is have Asterisk use Opus. It is
> currently using G.711 u-law for the call. What do I need to do in order to
> have it use Opus? I already set Opus as the preferred codec in Zoiper. I
> think I might need to install something and perhaps configure something in
> Asterisk.
>
> I have already seen this page:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Codec+Opus
>
> I configured *codecs.conf* as follows:
>
> [opus]
> type=opus
> max_playback_rate=16000 ; Limit bandwidth to narrow band
> fec=yes ;
>

> However, doing so had no effect. What do I need to do in order to install
> Opus and configure it?

The binary module as provided by Sangoma can be installed by selecting
"codec_opus" in the Codecs section of menuselect. It is not enabled by
default. If installed then transcoding is provided, and no other
configuration is generally needed. I can't comment on any other
implementations.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead