[asterisk-users] Installing and configuring Opus?

Brant Merryman brant.merryman at mixhalo.com
Mon Jul 11 11:13:53 CDT 2022

Hello Friends,

I am recently beginning to work with Asterisk. I am using version 18.3.0 on Ubuntu 20.04. I have the Hello World example running and I am able to connect to Asterisk using Zoiper on a Mac to test it.

The next thing I would like to do is have Asterisk use Opus. It is currently using G.711 u-law for the call. What do I need to do in order to have it use Opus? I already set Opus as the preferred codec in Zoiper. I think I might need to install something and perhaps configure something in Asterisk.

I have already seen this page:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Codec+Opus <https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Codec+Opus>

I configured codecs.conf as follows:

[opus]
type=opus
max_playback_rate=16000 ; Limit bandwidth to narrow band
fec=yes ;

However, doing so had no effect. What do I need to do in order to install Opus and configure it?

Thank you.

Brant Merryman