[asterisk-users] Installing and configuring Opus?

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomab.mx
Mon Jul 11 12:43:18 CDT 2022

     If you compiles Asterisk by hand you need to make sure that
codec_opus was selected (make menuconfig to check selections).  If you
installed it from another source make sure that Opus is included (maybe
an extra package).  Also, make sure that you modules.conf file is not
explicitly blocking it (if you have autoload on).

     From the Asterisk cli do "modules show like codec" and you should
see something like this:

codec_opus.so                  OPUS Coder/Decoder
0          Running extended

     If it is not there then you have not enabled it.

On 11/07/22 11:13, Brant Merryman wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I am recently beginning to work with Asterisk. I am using version
> 18.3.0 on Ubuntu 20.04. I have the Hello World example running and I
> am able to connect to Asterisk using Zoiper on a Mac to test it.
>
> The next thing I would like to do is have Asterisk use Opus. It is
> currently using G.711 u-law for the call. What do I need to do in
> order to have it use Opus? I already set Opus as the preferred codec
> in Zoiper. I think I might need to install something and perhaps
> configure something in Asterisk.
>
> I have already seen this page:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Codec+Opus
>
> I configured *codecs.conf* as follows:
>
> [opus]
> type=opus
> max_playback_rate=16000 ; Limit bandwidth to narrow band
> fec=yes ;
>

> However, doing so had no effect. What do I need to do in order to
> install Opus and configure it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Brant Merryman

Carlos Chávez