[asterisk-users] Dante and asterisk

Jason Gleim jasonc at gleim.name
Mon Mar 18 10:28:33 CDT 2019

Hi Jerry,

I'm Dante Level 3 certified so I can help on the Dante side tho I've never
done AES67 on Linux. So I think you can do this although I know you can't
do it purely in Dante (which I think you guessed based on the AES67
reference) because you need Dante Virtual Soundcard and it is only
available on Windows/Mac.

You need to get Dante to create an AES67 stream that your Asterisk box can
pickup with an appropriate driver. I'm assuming you have a Dante network up
and running and you have the controller software connected to the Dante net
and you at least know the basics. The hitch is that your source Dante
device must support AES67 streaming. Audinate added support for that to
their Brooklyn II cards in 2015 but that doesn't mean your device is
running a firmware rev that has support for it. Additionally, I believe
OEMs can decide if they want to enable it or not. So before doing anything
I would make sure your source supports AES67 streaming. You can open the
device view for your source device in the Dante controller and if there is
an AES67 Config tab you are good to go. If not, you will have to bounce the
audio through another device that does support it (like a mixer) or get one
of the Audinate AVIO output dongles and just plug it into a analog sound
card in your Asterisk box.

Assuming your source support AES67 streaming, in the device view on the
Dante controller you'll see an AES67 Config tab. You will probably have to
enable it since I don't think any OEMs turn it on by default. That will
likely require the device to be rebooted when you make that change. Once
you have AES67 enabled, you go through the steps to create a multicast flow
just like you would for a normal source sending to more than 4 targets
except there should (now) be a check box to make the multicast AES67. Then,
add the channel(s) to the flow just like normal. Save it to the controller
and you are good.

On the receiving side you need something that can receive the AES67 stream
and expose that audio to Asterisk. This is where I can't help you anymore
but it looks like there are some audio drivers available that should work.
All the AES67 receivers need to "find" the stream which could be automatic
or manual depending on your network config.

Remember that the audio stream is multicast for AES67 and not
point-to-point like a regular Dante stream is so if  you have router(s)
between your source and destination it requires different handling.

Good luck!
Jason