[asterisk-users] High delay and some echo

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Tue Jun 11 14:28:46 CDT 2019

On Tuesday 11 June 2019 at 21:16:40, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> Am 11.06.2019 um 21:10 schrieb Antony Stone:
>
> Hi,
>
> > So, you have a SIP phone, connected to an Asterisk server on your local
> > network, which then connects to D Telekom's SIP server over the DSL line?
>
> Correct!
>
> > Are they also using a SIP phone?
>
> My mother yes, my father in law uses an ISDN phone connected to a
> FritzBox that convert the signal in VoIP.

> I must say, that I'm not an expert in VoIP, so I really don't know this
> tool and don't have any idea how to analyze the problem...

Well, my starting point, given the hardware setup you've confirmed above, would
be to plug an analogue phone into your FritzBox (assuming that's what DT gave
you) and see whether the problem exists without Asterisk in the picture at
all.

The second thing I would try is to put the SIP credentials given to you by DT
into the SIP phone itself (most can support at least two lines, so you don't
need to over-write the credentials for your Asterisk server account) and
again, soo whether the problem persists with the Asterisk server removed from
the signal path.

That will at least tell you whether Asterisk is causing the problem, because
if it isn't:

a) there isn't much you can do about it except report it to DT, and

b) there's very little the good people here on this mailing list will be able
to help you with.

Just out of interest, what hardware are you running Asterisk on?  It's
unlikely to be the cause of the problem, because I've run it on Raspberry Pies
for very small setups such as yours, but it might still be useful to know.

Regards,

Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.