[asterisk-users] trying to upgrade asterisk and Debian -- not working

Stefan Viljoen viljoens at verishare.co.za
Fri Jan 25 00:11:44 CST 2019

Hi John

I've jumped around between several Asterisk versions on Centos 7 by doing

1. Copying the asterisk binary in

/usr/sbin/asterisk

/usr/sbin/asterisk.1.8.11.0

(or whatever version number)

2. Tar'ing up the /usr/lib/asterisk/modules directory's contents

# cd /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

# tar cvf asterisk.1.8.11.0.tar *

3. Deleting all the old / different version's module object files, e. g. still in /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

rm -rf *.so

4. Untarring and ungzipping the new / different version I downloaded manually into my

/usr/src

folder, e. g.

cd /usr/src

gunzip asterisk-1.8.32.3.tar.gz

tar xvf asterisk-1.8.32.3.tar

5. Then the usual

# cd asterisk-1.8.32.3
# ./configure
# make menuconfig

then set options then

# make
# make install
# make samples
# make progdocs

Ok, so now I'm on 1.8.32.3 and if I go

# asterisk

I will start up the "new" 1.8.32.3 version.

To revert to Asterisk 1.8.11.0 (or whatever) I then stop asterisk, and then I simply rename the current

/usr/sbin/asterisk to

asterisk.18.32.3

and the

/usr/sbin/asterisk.1.8.11.0

that is still there to

/usr/sbin/asterisk

thereby making that binary active again.

Then I tar up all the .so files in

/usr/lib/asterisk/modules

into

asterisk.1.8.32.3.tar

and delete all .so files in /usr/lib/asterisk/modules, then extract

tar xvf asterisk.1.8.11.0.tar

to revert to the older version's modules.

I can then go

# asterisk

and now I'm back to running

Asterisk 1.8.11.0

I've done this with three or four different Asterisk versions in the past, switching between them for testing.

A bit more manual procedure that you've done, but it does work to try out similar Asterisk versions / subversions for testing?

Regards,

Message: 2