[asterisk-users] [OT] Are anonymous international calls allowed ?

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Thu Jan 17 18:10:39 CST 2019

In theory yes. There are some countries where you are not allowed to block
your callerID. For the most part when you block your callerID your carrier
will still pass or just a header saying your callerID should not be
displayed. In cases where the caller sends no callerID at all most carriers
will have a default number they use since most tier1 carriers won't take a
call with no callerID at all.

Now if things weren't confusing enough there are several "areas" where
these is different pricing based on the callerID. The EEA recently (a few
years ago) mandated that carriers charge lower rates for inter EEA calls.
The carriers didn't like this and raised the rates where the callerID is
not with in the EEA. This is causing a lot of shady routes that will set
your blocked call or American callerID with local callerID to save money.
South Africa is another example where the rates went up by 10x if the call
is not originating in South Africa.  The same with Switzerland. Since they
aren't in the EEA and they are in Europe they saw a spike in their call
costs. To offset that some Swiss carriers are chatting a lot more where the
call has an EEA based callerID.