[asterisk-users] Is it possible to find real domain names instead of IP in SIP URI ?

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:42:39 CST 2019

Hello,

Is it possible to find real domain names instead of IP addresses in SIP URI
?

For instance, in a book dedicated to SIP (Understanding the Session
Initiation Protocol), I'm reading an example of a SIP INVITE that looks
like:

INVITE sip:411 at salzburg.at;user=phone SIP/2.0

In my testing (with a Yealink phone), I can configure it either with:
account.1.sip_server.1.address = ipbx1.foobar.lan
account.1.sip_server.1.address = ipbx1
account.1.sip_server.1.address =192.168.1.1

Any of the above works but Asterisk sip set debug command shows something
like:
<--- SIP read from UDP:192.168.1.42:5060 --->
REGISTER sip:192.168.1.1:5060 SIP/2.0

I would the above last line to be respectively:
REGISTER sip:ipbx1.foobar.lan:5060 SIP/2.0
REGISTER sip:ipbx1:5060 SIP/2.0
REGISTER sip:192.168.1.1:5060 SIP/2.0

Any hint ?

Best