[asterisk-users] Asterisk - can't hear other side. Or other side does not hear us

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Thu Feb 28 11:15:24 CST 2019

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 18:00:54, Ivan Demkovitch wrote:

> Antony,
> Ok, I see what you are saying. Yes, than NAT occuring on our router.
> Asterisk server is on internal IP (192.168..)

> # Now that I read what you say I think there might be 2 issues. "Randomness"
> is one, but I am not even sure we have it (randomness). All recent complains
> were from specific callers and we can replicate those.

That is significant.

> #What am I looking for? Should it be "tshark" or there is means within
> Asterisk application/configs to write those logs?

There is no way to get a full SIP trace out of Asterisk (that I know of).

> I haven't used "tshark" before. And more specifically, what am I looking for?

tshark is just my tool of choice for capturing packets (and, sometimes, for
analysing what they mean afterwards).  tcpdump is the other obvious choice for
capturing the network traffic so you can then feed it into a protocol analyser.

I did suggest sngrep as being another useful way of analysing what's going on;
this is a SIP-specific tool for showing you the flow of a conversation between
two SIP devices (such as your Asterisk server and Callcentric's).

In terms of what you're looking for, I'd start by looking at the exchange of
media negotiation - do both servers support at least one codes acceptable to
the other?  And, are both servers telling the other to send the media to a
valid public address?

Regards,

Antony.

--
René Descartes walks in to a bar.
The barman asks him "Do you want a drink?"

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.