[asterisk-users] Asterisk - can't hear other side. Or other side does not hear us

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Thu Feb 28 10:50:30 CST 2019

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 17:40:28, Ivan Demkovitch wrote:

> Noone connects to Asterisk box/server from outside.  Callcentric SIP trunk
> configured and Asterisk maintains connection to it itself.

Okay, I didn't actually mean "does anyone connect *inbound* to your Asterisk
server" - I was more asking about the connectivity between the Asterisk box
and (anything on) the Internet (eg: Callcentric), and whether there is NAT
involved.

> No special ports opened, nothing. Connection happens from us
> to Callcentric and all calls routed in from CallcentricI don't know
> exactly how it's doing it by it works.

Does your Asterisk box have an RFC1918 address (ie: 10.0.0.0/8. 172.16.0.0/12
or 192.168.0.0/16), or does it have a public IP address on its own interface?

If the address on your Asterisk server falls in the RFC1918 range, then you
have NAT occurring on your router, and this is known to cause one-way (or
sometimes no-way) audio from time to time.

> Debugging with "tshark" should be done on Asterisk machine I asume?

Yes, or else on any router between the Asterisk machine and the other end of
the affected calls (ie: Callcentric).  It's very probably simplest to do it on
the Asterisk server, though.

Antony.

--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error.  Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.