[asterisk-users] Asterisk - can't hear other side. Or other side does not hear us

Ivan Demkovitch idemkovitch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 10:40:28 CST 2019

Antony,
It is correct. Noone connects to Asterisk box/server from outside.Callcentric SIP trunk configured and Asterisk maintains connection to it itself. No special ports opened, nothing. Connection happens from us to Callcentric and all calls routed in from CallcentricI don't know exactly how it's doing it by it works.
Again, keep in mind it is working for many years for most / 90+% of calls
#1. I don't think it will be possible to know :( Been 3 years.
#2-3. All callers call public phone number and they all come in to asterisk from Callcentric context.When we call out - it goes out through Callcentric SIP trunk.
When we dial internal each others extensions there is no NAT, trunk or anything else and all works just fine...
Debugging with "tshark" should be done on Asterisk machine I asume?
Thank you!

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 00:26:17, Ivan Demkovitch wrote:

> Asterisk is NOT exposed to internet, noone connects to Asterisk> from internet. We use Callcentric for VOIP trunk.
That's the point where you lost me.

Callcentric is out on the Internet.  How does it connect to your Asterisk
server?

> External callers get in via Callcentric.
Right...

> 1. Outside caller calls us but can't hear us. I beleive they talked to their> phone provider and it works now?
It would be good to know what got changed to make that work.

> 2. We have one caller where EVERY time they call - they can't hear us. They> just say "ok, call us back". We call back and it works :)
So, they connect in via Callcentric too?  Just the same as Caller 1?

> 3. We have one caller where when we call them - they cannot> hear us, but we can hear them. They called back - all works.
What is the difference between callers 1, 2 and 3, in terms of how they connect
to your Asterisk server, or how you connect to them?

> I feel like we need to trace SIP protocol. How do I do that? I may get on> of those callers to work with us on testing.
I would start with something like:

# tshark -i any -f "port 5060" -w "sip.debug.pcap"

and then afterwards look at the pcap file with tshark (tshark -r
"sip.debug.pcap -V") or some SIP tool such as sngrep.

Antony.