[asterisk-users] ​ PJSIP and Non Media Proxy

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sun Nov 5 13:16:09 CST 2017

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017, at 02:42 PM, Saint Michael wrote:
> ​Now that Joshua had the kindness to respond, I see here a big disconnect
> between Digium and the VOIP industry. 99% of the VOIP entrepreneurs like
> me
> would need to avoid proxying the media.  Would would Digium support and
> bring in with such fanfare a channel like PJSIP that lacks the only thing
> that 99% would need to do business in an efficient manner? I mean people
> like me buy and sale billion of minutes every day, and most of my peers
> gravitate towards Opensips and other solution that do not touch the
> media.
> Yesterday I had to roll back my sleeves and go back to the old sip
> channel.
> I would love to see Asterisk-PJSIP to find a way to act like a proxy.
> This
> would turn Asterisk into a real wholesale business tool, which is not, so
> far.

It's not the lack of this feature which drives people to using OpenSIPS
or Kamailio for this use case. It's just fundamentally designed
differently and better performant for that scenario. Asterisk isn't the
best solution for everything everyone needs or wants, and that's okay.
There are other projects (like those already mentioned) that are a
better fit, and Asterisk can even play a part in there as an application
server.

I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the right job even if it
means that Asterisk isn't the right fit. Frustrated users are something
I never want to see.

--
Joshua Colp