[asterisk-users] How to install and configure Dahdi from Debian Stretch repo ?

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:58:07 CDT 2017

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:10:57AM +0100, Olivier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After all these years installing from source, I'm giving Dahdi package
> > installation a try on a recent Stretch box.
> >
> > Google over the web, I didn't find too many doc on this topic.
> >
> > 1. Is this one [1] up-to-date ?
>
> Not exactly.
>
> > Reading Stretch I would say a single asterisk-dahdi would be enough to
> > install asterisk dahdi and libpri.
>
> Almost. Except the kernel modules. For those:
>
>   apt install dahdi-source
>   # also install module-assistant, if it wasn't installed already
>   m-a a-i dahdi
>   # Should also install linux-headers-`uname -r`, IIRC
>

> > 2. On my box, the following fails. What would you suggest ? Re-base
> > everything on Jessie ?
> > apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
>
> That should not happen. What is the output of uname -r #?

# uname -r
4.8.0-2-686-pae

# apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.8.0-2-686-pae'

# apt-cache show linux-headers-4.8
N: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.8'

# apt-cache show linux-headers-4.9
Package: linux-headers-4.9.0-2-686
Source: linux

It looks like linux-headers-4.8 are currently missing in Stretch repo
though currently installed kernel is 4.8.
This issue seems quite independant from asterisk, anyway.

I started all over with a Jessie box.
Relating to [1], I could positively run:
# m-a a-i dahdi

But # dahdi_genconf required a reboot to run OK.
Though this worries me as I need to script the whole install process, I can
leave it aside at the moment.

> > 3. How is dahdi started-stopped in Stretch ? (I can't find any
> > /etc/init.d/dahdi file after apt-get install asterisk-dahdi).
>
> Started: should be automatically at boot.

Shall I find an /etc/init.d/dahdi file or equivalent ?
If positive which command produces this file ?
I would expect dahdi-linux or dahdi packages to install these file.

> Waht hardware device do you
> have?

# dahdi_hardware
pci:0000:04:05.0     wctdm24xxp+  d161:8007 HA8-0000