[asterisk-users] How to install and configure Dahdi from Debian Stretch repo ?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Mar 14 09:26:29 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 02:58:07PM +0100, Olivier wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:10:57AM +0100, Olivier wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > After all these years installing from source, I'm giving Dahdi package
> > > installation a try on a recent Stretch box.
> > >
> > > Google over the web, I didn't find too many doc on this topic.
> > >
> > > 1. Is this one [1] up-to-date ?
> >
> > Not exactly.
> >
> > > Reading Stretch I would say a single asterisk-dahdi would be enough to
> > > install asterisk dahdi and libpri.
> >
> > Almost. Except the kernel modules. For those:
> >
> >   apt install dahdi-source
> >   # also install module-assistant, if it wasn't installed already
> >   m-a a-i dahdi
> >   # Should also install linux-headers-`uname -r`, IIRC
> >

> > > 2. On my box, the following fails. What would you suggest ? Re-base
> > > everything on Jessie ?
> > > apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
> >
> > That should not happen. What is the output of uname -r #?
> >

> # uname -r
> 4.8.0-2-686-pae
>
> # apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.8.0-2-686-pae'
>
> # apt-cache show linux-headers-4.8
> N: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.8'
>
> # apt-cache show linux-headers-4.9
> Package: linux-headers-4.9.0-2-686
> Source: linux
>
> It looks like linux-headers-4.8 are currently missing in Stretch repo
> though currently installed kernel is 4.8.
> This issue seems quite independant from asterisk, anyway.

You probably started working on this box a while ago. Streetch's current
kernel is 4.9.0-2 (it changed shortly before the freeze). It is now
frozen and won't change (barring a really good reason).

> I started all over with a Jessie box.

I recommend to go back to Stretch and just upgrade the kernel. In other
words: keep the software up-to-date.

> Relating to [1], I could positively run:
> # m-a a-i dahdi
>
> But # dahdi_genconf required a reboot to run OK.

Certainly not. See below.

> Though this worries me as I need to script the whole install process, I can
> leave it aside at the moment.
>

> > > 3. How is dahdi started-stopped in Stretch ? (I can't find any
> > > /etc/init.d/dahdi file after apt-get install asterisk-dahdi).
> >
> > Started: should be automatically at boot.
>

> Shall I find an /etc/init.d/dahdi file or equivalent ?
> If positive which command produces this file ?
> I would expect dahdi-linux or dahdi packages to install these file.
>

> > Waht hardware device do you
> > have?
> >

> # dahdi_hardware
> pci:0000:04:05.0     wctdm24xxp+  d161:8007 HA8-0000

Traditionally dahdi has been shipped with a modprobe.d configuration
file to blacklist all of the PCI cards. This was because the order in
which they were loaded was not well-defined.

This is irrelevant on a system with a single device. And anyway,
irrelevant in a system configured (as is in the Debian packages) with
auto_assign_spans=0 . In such a system, devices register automatically,
but their spans are not assigned span and channel numbers unless they
are configured in /etc/dahdi/assigned-spans.conf .

So try:

  dahdi_span_assignment auto
  dahdi_genconf

Another reason that the init file was removed is because there is no
need to assign DAHDI spans before asterisk is started: if the channels
are configured with Asterisk, they will appear when assigned (using a
script in /usr/share/dahdi/span_config.d/).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com