[asterisk-users] Asterisk 13 on old VMware ESXI 4

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomab.mx
Wed Aug 2 11:26:05 CDT 2017

On 2017-08-02 07:08, Nathan Anderson wrote:
> Richard Kenner wrote:
>
>> But the question here
>> was *Asterisk*, not kernels.  User-level code has *way* fewer
>> dependencies.
>
> *Precisely*.  Unless we're talking DAHDI here (which we're not), Linux
> & ESXi are red herrings.
>
> Carlos Chavez wrote:
>
>>       I am having a very tough time trying to replace an Elastix 2.X
>> install running as a virtual machine on ESXI 4.
>
> There's no way this has anything to do with ESXi or the version of it
> that you are running.  Zero.  Zip.  Zilch.
>
> If you want to prove this to yourself and others, take the *exact*
> same binary bits, install them bare-metal on another piece of
> hardware, run the same traffic through it, and watch it crash and burn
> in the same way.  The only way that I can see this playing out
> differently is if the bug (yes, bug) in Asterisk and associated
> libraries is extremely timing-dependent, and running it in a VM is
> exposing this bug in a way that most bare-metal installations
> wouldn't.
>
>> I will try using chan_sip
>> instead of PJSIP to get things running but confidence is not high.
>
> Given that the log entry you pasted into your e-mail references
> "libasteriskpj.so", I'd bet $$$ that switching to chan_sip has an
> extremely high likelihood of working, assuming that your set-up has no
> particular dependencies on PJSIP-specific features that you have to
> work around (and if you are migrating from an Asterisk 1.6
> installation, I'm guessing it doesn't).
>
> Best of luck,
>
> -- Nathan

I run the CentOS 7.3 / Asterisk 13.17.0 combination of software
installed from the same sources on multiple servers across a wide
variety of hardware (both metal and virtual) and this is the only place
that I have encountered this particular problem.  That is why the only
variable left is the version of ESXI as newer versions work.
Unfortunately I do not have a newer server where I can just import this
same VM to completely eliminate the possibility.

Carlos Chávez
dCAP #1349
+52 (55)8116-9161