[asterisk-users] Asterisk 13 on old VMware ESXI 4

George Joseph gjoseph at digium.com
Wed Aug 2 06:24:52 CDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Carlos Chavez <cursor at telecomab.mx> wrote:

>      I am having a very tough time trying to replace an Elastix 2.X
> install running as a virtual machine on ESXI 4.  I tried using the Freepbx
> 14 ISO that installs CentOS 6 along with Asterisk 13.16 but I keep getting
> random segfaults:
>
> [175711.476685] asterisk[2942]: segfault at 188 ip 00007fc6c41abffc sp
> 00007fc608575890 error 4 in libasteriskpj.so.2[7fc6c4144000+14c000]

The messages that get dumped to the kernel log aren't of much use.  See
below for more info.

>      I then proceeded to install a CentOS 7.3 VM and compiled Asterisk
> 13.17.0 by hand.

That *should* be a good combination.

> We are still using Freepbx 14 for the front end.  We did some testing over
> the weekend and calls were coming in and out and all extensions were
> registered.  Come Monday Asterisk started segfaulting again with exactly
> the same error.  Maybe VMware is too old to support the newer CentOS and
> Asterisk?  The Elastix install is based on CentOS 5 and Asterisk 1.6.  I
> have no idea how to approach this.  It only segfaults when there are only
> more than a couple simultaneous calls, that is why testing with only a
> couple of calls worked.
>
>      There are several core dump files but I really do not know how to use
> them for debugging Asterisk.  Any ideas?

If you still have the coredump files, you can use the ast_coredumper
utility located in /var/lib/asterisk/scripts to extract the human-readable
stack traces.  "sudo /var/lib/asterisk/scripts/ast_coredumper --help" will
get you more info on how to run the command.  The *-thread1.txt file it
produces will be the most helpful but all 4 should be attached to the
Asterisk issue should you decide to create one.

> I will try using chan_sip instead of PJSIP to get things running but
> confidence is not high.
>
> --
> Telecomunicaciones Abiertas de México S.A. de C.V.
> Carlos Chávez
> dCAP #1349
> +52 (55)8116-9161
>
> --
>
> Check out the new Asterisk community forum at:
> https://community.asterisk.org/
>
> New to Asterisk? Start here:
>      https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Getting+Started
>
> asterisk-users mailing list