[asterisk-users] log incoming calls without answering

kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Thu Apr 20 16:09:15 CDT 2017

> I've already proposed your solution (is the most reasonable) but they
> have more than 60 analogs lines (no faxes) and some of them terminate in
> appliances like alarms, etc, so the solution must not touch in any way
> the connection between the line and his termination: doing a analog to
> digital conversion, passing it to asterisk and the convert it back to
> analog is prone to problems (what if asterisk crashes? or if a gateway
> fail?).
> I can split the existing lines (there are no complex things like adsl or
> digital signaling), convert the branches to digital and terminate then
> into an asterisk machine, so any failure will not affect the old
> circuit, but of course I've to configure asterisk to ONLY LOG calls and
> nothing more.
>
> This is what they want:
> - line 1 ring
> - line 1 is splitted in two, the first branch (let's say the "analog"
> branch) go to an analog phone, that rings
> - the second branch go through a gateway and then to asterisk
> - asterisk log (with an AGI for example) "line 1 rings at .... from
...."
> no more is required from asterisk, if someone answer the analog phone or
> not is not my business.

Ok, so I would agree with them that a conversion to digital and back again
would tend to break things like fax lines and alarm lines. My analog lines
in my facilities are there because a lot of alarm systems just don't work
with SIP at all. It's something the alarm companies are going to have to
figure out in the next decade or so as the Telcos are moving away from
copper and switched networks and towards fiber and packet based networks.

I honestly don't know if you can do what you want without some piece of
equipment picking up the line. What I would do is get an analog line, an
analog phone, an analog to sip device (there are many to choose from) and
a basic asterisk instance. I would then make a small test setup where the
analog line goes to a splitter. One side of the splitter goes to your
analog phone. One side goes to your analog to SIP converter and then into
your asterisk instance via your ethernet network. Use your cell phone to
call the number of your analog line and see if it works. You would have to
code a basic dialplan on the asterisk side and set up the trunk to your
converter, which I am assuming you know how to do.

This would at least give you a fairly low cost way to test to see if you
can trigger what you want on the Asterisk side without also triggering the
line itself to be answered. I would also note that you would only be able
to log incoming calls this way. I can't see a way you would be able to
detect an outgoing call from the analog extension.