[asterisk-users] Voicemail asking for login

D'Arcy Cain darcy at VybeNetworks.com
Mon Apr 17 12:17:44 CDT 2017

We have a template for extensions and voicmail.  They look like this:

exten => %ACCOUNT%,1,Verbose(0,Entering extension %ACCOUNT%)
     same => n(DialDesk),Verbose(0,${CALLERID(all)} Calling ${EXTEN})
     same => n,Dial(SIP/%ACCOUNT%,30)

     same => n(VoiceMail),Set(CDR(userfield)=VoiceMail)
     same => n,Verbose(0,${CALLERID(all)} going into voice mail for
%ACCOUNT%)
     same => n,Set(_ACCOUNT=%ACCOUNT%)
     same => n,VoiceMail(%ACCOUNT%@VoiceMail,u)
     same => n,Hangup()

And for voicemail.conf:

%ACCOUNT% => %VM_PASSWORD%,%NAME%,%LOGIN%@Vex.Net

Here is the sip.conf template:

[%ACCOUNT%](client-phone)
secret=%PASSWORD%
callerid=%NAME% <%CLID%>
mailbox=%ACCOUNT%@VoiceMail
context=%CONTEXT%

Every user gets set up using these templates so I know that everyone is
identical other than the '%' variables above.  I have looked and I don't
see any significant differences.  The ACCOUNTs are strings with most
having digits appended.  Obviously NAME, PASSWORD and LOGIN are
different but not in kind.

My issue is with users picking up their VM from an external phone.  They
call themselves and press '*' during the playback message.  Normally
they are asked for their password and then get dropped into the proper menu.

One user (that we know of so far) has a different experience.  In that
case they are asked for a mailbox number first.  I can't seem to find
any significant difference in their configuration to account for that.
Every other user that we have tested works as expected.  Some of them
have extension that are all letters, some have trailing digits.  Some
have associated cell phones and some don't.

I have tried searching for this issue but nothing seems to apply.  Most
discussions are about "*97" vs. "*98".  Can anyone suggest another field
of enquiry?

TIA.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain