[asterisk-users] Questions... connecting Asterisk to the World

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat May 14 21:42:30 CDT 2016

On Sat, 14 May 2016, Stefan Becker wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2016, Steve Edwards wrote:
>
>> I think you need to make the outbound dial a single 'transaction'
>> either by using an extension pattern that includes the 0 like
>> '05555555555' to dial 555-555-5555 or eliminate the 0 (and the idiom of
>> 'requesting an outgoing line') and detect an internal vs external call
>> via extension pattern matching.
>
> this is the dialplan that I use:
>
> [ReceiveCallOut]
> exten = s,1,Read(LOKAL,,,,1,5)
>  same =   n,Dial(SIP/${LOKAL}@tt)
>  same =   n,Hangup()

I would:

) Drop the 'dial 0' anachronism.

) Not use read().

) Use extension pattern matching.

For example, in the US, I would have something like (off the top of my head):

; external, local
 	exten = _nxxxxxx,1,		verbose(1,[${EXTEN}@${CONTEXT})
 	same = n,			goto(dial-local,${EXTEN},1)
 	same = n,			hangup()

; external, domestic
 	exten = _nxxnxxxxxx,1,		verbose(1,[${EXTEN}@${CONTEXT})
 	same = n,			goto(${CONTEXT},1${EXTEN},1)
 	same = n,			hangup()

; external, domestic
 	exten = _1nxxnxxxxxx,1,		verbose(1,[${EXTEN}@${CONTEXT})
 	same = n,			goto(dial-domestic,${EXTEN},1)
 	same = n,			hangup()

; international
 	exten = _011x.,1,		verbose(1,[${EXTEN}@${CONTEXT})
 	same = n,			goto(dial-international,${EXTEN},1)
 	same = n,			hangup()

; internal
 	exten = _[2-9]xxx,1,		verbose(1,[${EXTEN}@${CONTEXT})
 	same = n,			goto(dial-internal,${EXTEN},1)
 	same = n,			hangup()

> When the user dials "0", the HiCOM ISDN switch immediately
> goes "online" to the outgoing ISDN Copper Cable - connected
> to ... A) .... B)
>
> A) connected to the NTBA in the wall jack to the NTBA phone company...
>   the dialing preceeds to continue "offline" no dailtones are heard.
>   The call is completed and connects

This sounds weird and very foreign (strange and unfamiliar, not as being a
characteristic of a different country) to me. So, as a caller, I would
hear the '0' DTMF but no other tones? No feedback as I press keys?

> B) connected to the Asterisk ISDN Card....
>
>   Asterisk server reacts by executing the above dial plan...

The dialplan does not reflect your intentions.

>   CLI > "answered call from "...." to "s"
>
>   The user has an open "answered" line and the dialing are collected by
>   listening to the DTMF tones.  The generated dial tones can be heard
>   on the phone line.
>
> Somehow the signaling on the line of the outgoing call is differant
> when the cable is handeled by the PBX or by asterisk.
>
> But why ?

Dialplan and channel configuration.

> Can't asterisk be configured to handle a call exactly as the otherwise
> connected phone company's PBX would?

My guess is yes.

--
Thanks in advance,