[asterisk-users] ODBC freezing Asterisk 13

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Jul 14 18:40:47 CDT 2016

Saint Michael wrote:
> ​Many people are reporting the same issue, so it is not my imagination.
> Asterisk 13 above 13.1 is useless for anybody who ​relies on
> res_odbc.so. As you know, after that version, the dropped the complexity
> of Pooling onto unix_odbc itself. Not so simple, it seems. I noticed
> that after a few hours of inactivity, any call to func_odbc-defined
> funcions will block and hang for ever. All we can do at that point is
> reset Asterisk.
> I think it was highly rushed a decision to drop all the work done in
> ODBC inside Asterisk. Maybe unix_odbc pooling is not ready, has bugs, it
> cannot be used in production. I don't know what the issue is, but I had
> to downgrade to Asterisk 13.1 and my ODBC problems disappeared. Asterisk
> did not need to drop the ODBC pooling code. It did work. It should be
> fixed, made faster, etc.

This has already been done[1] and will be released in Asterisk 13.10,
which just had an rc3 released. I also sent an email to the list[2] when
the fix went in. These fixes have continued to show no problems
themselves although they just exposed an issue with func_odbc which was
fixed in the rc3 that was just released. There's no issues open
currently against that work.

As for the res_odbc changes themselves which exposed problems in
UnixODBC those went in as of Asterisk 13.8[3], not earlier.

Prior to 13.8 there was no pooling at all.

[1] http://blogs.asterisk.org/2016/06/15/asterisk-odbc-connections/
[2] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2016-June/289326.html
[3] http://blogs.asterisk.org/2016/02/17/odbc_gutting/

--