[asterisk-users] ODBC freezing Asterisk 13

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Mon Jul 18 17:06:11 CDT 2016

On 2016-07-14 16:40, Joshua Colp wrote:
> Saint Michael wrote:
>> ​Many people are reporting the same issue, so it is not my
>> imagination.
>> Asterisk 13 above 13.1 is useless for anybody who ​relies on
>> res_odbc.so. As you know, after that version, the dropped the
>> complexity
>> of Pooling onto unix_odbc itself. Not so simple, it seems. I noticed
>> that after a few hours of inactivity, any call to func_odbc-defined
>> funcions will block and hang for ever. All we can do at that point is
>> reset Asterisk.
>> I think it was highly rushed a decision to drop all the work done in
>> ODBC inside Asterisk. Maybe unix_odbc pooling is not ready, has bugs,
>> it
>> cannot be used in production. I don't know what the issue is, but I
>> had
>> to downgrade to Asterisk 13.1 and my ODBC problems disappeared.
>> Asterisk
>> did not need to drop the ODBC pooling code. It did work. It should be
>> fixed, made faster, etc.
>
> This has already been done[1] and will be released in Asterisk 13.10,
> which just had an rc3 released. I also sent an email to the list[2]
> when the fix went in. These fixes have continued to show no problems
> themselves although they just exposed an issue with func_odbc which
> was fixed in the rc3 that was just released. There's no issues open
> currently against that work.
>
> As for the res_odbc changes themselves which exposed problems in
> UnixODBC those went in as of Asterisk 13.8[3], not earlier.
>
> Prior to 13.8 there was no pooling at all.
>
> [1] http://blogs.asterisk.org/2016/06/15/asterisk-odbc-connections/
> [2]
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2016-June/289326.html
> [3] http://blogs.asterisk.org/2016/02/17/odbc_gutting/

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. And here, I was trying to build a version
of Asterisk 13.8-cert that 1) absolutely required ODBC because I
couldn't even build res_config_mysql.so anymore, and 2) I was trying to
get ODBC working on Ubuntu 16.04, in spite of it being, um, apparently
completely missing from the OS.

Well, I guess I can give up *that* fool's quest! This post has been most
illuminating!