[asterisk-users] How to deal with error messages passed as Early Media

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Wed Feb 3 11:00:40 CST 2016

For calls that fail, even where early media is played, the call should
terminate with a 4xx or 5xx SIP response which to a certain degree
correlates to the nature of the actual failure.  The SIP error code is
delayed until the media playback completes, but should be no different
whether or not early media is used (for the same actual failure).

Early media is simply an audio stream for human consumption to explain the
failure.  There should be no need to attempt to recognize it, unless your
ITSP is not terminating the call correctly.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trunking with an ITSP that, when treating an outbound to an unknown
> destination, either:
> - send a SIP error code (I can't be more explicit, at the moment),
> - or cast a pre-recorded audio message using Early Media.
>
> At the same time, I'm also trunking with Contact Center solution which
> doesn't support Early Media.
>

> Beside asking my ITSP to treat calls consistently or ask  Contact Centerto
> support Early Media, is there a way to configure Asterisk to unify both
> above error treaments into a single one ?
>
> How can I best deal with error messages passed as Early Media.
>
> Best regards
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 256 580 6090
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org