[asterisk-users] How to deal with error messages passed as Early Media

Duncan duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Wed Feb 3 15:12:30 CST 2016

On 04/02/16 06:00, Scott Griepentrog wrote:
> For calls that fail, even where early media is played, the call should
> terminate with a 4xx or 5xx SIP response which to a certain degree
> correlates to the nature of the actual failure.  The SIP error code is
> delayed until the media playback completes, but should be no different
> whether or not early media is used (for the same actual failure).
>
> Early media is simply an audio stream for human consumption to explain
> the failure.  There should be no need to attempt to recognize it,
> unless your ITSP is not terminating the call correctly.

I recently ran some analysis of early media messages found in cellular
networks by recording the calls and running it through CMU-Sphinx. There
are only a few types of early media messages per network, to cover a
raft of failures.

But I always got a SIP error code back as well, the early media I found
tended to play for upto 20 secs then drop the call, then you get the
error code. It might not be a very descriptive error but its still an
error code, and the early media audio message is not always very
distinct either. In the GSM networks the GSM failure code is more useful
but still seems somewhat randomly assigned by the provider, even
including the odd temporary failures.

You are not really worried about what the failure reason is, its the
caller who needs to decide - did I misdial, is the number really
disconnected, is their phone out of coverage etc, you just need to try
your next available network, if the caller hasn't already hung up after
hearing the message

You could possibly examine the audio before you get an answer but then
you might get caught by some other system or PBX playing early media
before answer that isn't actually a failure.

If your ITSP is not giving you an error code then you have an issue.

Cheers Duncan