[asterisk-users] I think this is a bug (video call file) 11.25.1 and 13.13.1

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Dec 21 13:46:55 CST 2016

On 12/20/2016 06:01 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> >Hi Jerry,
> > just had a look through the code, and from what I can tell, what
> >you're trying to do is not supposed to work, exactly. It appears that
> >what Asterisk expects is to be given a filename, such as "myplayback".
> >Asterisk will first search for an audio version of the file (like
> >myplayback.gsm or myplayback.opus), and open that as an audio stream. If
> >that succeeds, it then will also see if there is an accompanying video
> >stream (such as myplayback.h264). If it then finds that video, then the
> >result will be that Asterisk will play the audio from the audio file and
> >the video from the video file.
>
> >What this means is that Asterisk does not properly handle:
> >* Files that have audio and video streams contained within
> >* Video files without accompanying audio
>
> >This is one of those times where Asterisk's handling of video is not
> >user-friendly and in general ass-backwards and terrible. If you have a
> >tool that can extract the audio to its own file, then you would be able
> >to run your scenario, presumably.
>
> >It would be a welcome addition for Asterisk to be able to open a single
> >file containing video and accompanying audio and be able to play those back.
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply...
> I just tried what you suggested on only got audio. I created a wav
> file and put it in the /tmp
> directory just like the video.h264 file. So /tmp has video.h264 and
> video.wav both.
> I then placed the call and only heard the audio from the wav file.
>
> I used this for my call file:
> Channel: SIP/2002
> Context: testing
> Extension: 999999
> Data: /tmp/video
>
> My Bria 4 softphone uses the h263 and h264 codecs and of course wav
> file audio.
> Based on your look of the code did I miss something to trigger the
> playing of the video file?
> I can extract the audio out to a seperate file - so not a show stopper
> for me.
>
> No errors showed up on the Asterisk CLI when I did my test.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Jerry

I don't see anything obvious in the code that would have prevented the
video from playing back. Unfortunately, the debug from Asterisk isn't
going to be especially helpful here, with one exception. If you have
core debug at level 1 or higher, then when Asterisk detects the video
file, it will say:

"Ooh, found a video stream, too, format h264"

If you see that message, that at least means that Asterisk is finding
the video file as expected. If you don't see that, then it's likely that
Asterisk is unaware of the h264 file format type. It may be that you
don't have the format_h264.so module loaded. It may be that there was an
error that occurred when that module was loading, causing it not to be
able to load properly.

If you are seeing that debug message, it at least means that Asterisk
attempted to play back the video file, but something else in the process
caused the video not to play back as expected. The first thing you could
check is packet captures to see if Asterisk is even attempting to send
video to the softphone. If so, then it's likely that there is some sort
of codec mismatch happening (likely something in the format parameters).
If Asterisk is not even attempting to send any video, then it likely
means that there is some other issue. It may be a bug, or it may be some
erroneous condition in the environment. Hard to tell yet though.

Mark Michelson