[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11.23.0 on CentOS6 : how to get ICE support ?

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Thu Aug 11 11:03:02 CDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Jonas Kellens <jonas.kellens at telenet.be> wrote:
> My main reason not to upgrade to Ast 13 is because I'm afraid of losing
> functionality as there are certain functions deprecated/replaced. This can
> also cause headache :-)
>
> I will do so if there is no other option.
>
> But still, I don't see why Ast 13 would differ so much in this case ? If ICE
> and NAT is working (not causing problems) why should Ast 13 bring me audio
> and Ast 12 don't ??

If you want to minimize grief, start with 13 - WebRTC has been a
moving target for the last 5 years, it is not an old, mature standard
like ISDN or SIP.  If you find interop problems in an older version of
Asterisk with WebRTC, it's likely that it has been fixed in 13, and if
it hasn't the most likely place to obtain the fix will be in 13.

After you get the WebRTC part working, then you can move back the
versions of Asterisk you're using to see if it still works.

As far as ICE not working goes, if the browser you're talking to is
not on the same network as the Asterisk server, it's *possible* you
might need a true TURN server as well, instead of just an ICE server.

Matthew Fredrickson

> On 11-08-16 16:25, Jonathan H wrote:
>
> I'm genuinely fascinated why you are insisting on using a version of
> Asterisk almost 3 years old, for which EOL support ended last year.
>
> Is there any particular reason you cannot or will not use the current
> version as others have suggested?
>
> Also, I see you are using Doubango and WebRTC, but in the logs, I see WS and
> WSS.
>
> You NEED to be using 100% WSS otherwise you've not got a hope in hell of
> anything working with WEBRTC.
> Check the console of the web browser you are trying to make the call from
> (CTRL-SHIFT-I in Chrome on Windows, for example).
>
> Also, you'll need to be using valid certificates - self-signed certificates
> won't work for any current implementation of WebRTC that I know of,
> certainly not if anything involves current versions of Chrome or Firefox.
> That said, LetsEncrypt certs work fine for this, so no need to spend out on
> one.
>
> Switch to Asterisk 13.10 and save yourself a whole lotta headache.
>
> On 11 August 2016 at 15:09, Jonas Kellens <jonas.kellens at telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Using Asterisk 12.8.2.
>>

>> On 10-08-16 22:03, Matt Fredrickson wrote:
>>>
>>> My suggestion is to verify and debug against Asterisk 13 first, and
>>> then you can try backing down versions, rather than reverse.  WebRTC
>>> is a rapidly moving target, and has required ongoing changes that may
>>> not have made it into older and feature frozen versions of Asterisk.
>

> --

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager