[asterisk-users] asterisk server stress test

Markus Weiler markus_weiler at mailworks.org
Thu Aug 20 09:27:18 CDT 2015

Am 20.08.2015 um 03:16 schrieb Pete Mundy:

> Ah cr at p, sorry Steve, didn't mean to top-post there.
>

>> On 20/08/2015, at 5:23 AM, Markus Weiler <markus_weiler at mailworks.org
>> <mailto:markus_weiler at mailworks.org>> wrote:
>>> We started the 500 calls and used milliwatt app on the first and
>>> record on the second host to check the quality. Alternatively just
>>> start 500+ calls and call yourself on top. So you can get a good
>>> idea how the quality is.
>
> Markus
>
> That's a fascinating concept!
>
> Can you share any more about how you appraised the data and determined
> your results?
>
> ie once you had the recordings on the second host what did you do do
> computationally score them? Do you look at the decoded (1khz?)
> waveform or do you appraise in another way?
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

we used different approaches.

Just to test the maximum channels a gateway can process the two Methods
are enough, you can either listen to the Recordings or look at the waveform.
The easiest approach is to call a colleague and gradually increase the
calls on the machine.

For systematic, continuous analysis Voipmonitor is a very useful tool.
We directed the traffic to a mirroring port on the Switch to which we
connected a Server running Voipmon. (http://www.voipmonitor.org/)
Voipmon records the call and rates its quality. You can check the
results either using the commercial Web Interface (test for free) or
query the mysql DB.
Unfortunately Voipmon tends to crash on a regular basis (at least when
we used it), but it's an awesome tool.
The underlying tool pcapsipdump is running a lot more stable, but you
need to put a lot more work into it to get started.

hope i could help

Markus