[asterisk-users] Call Center

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Aug 3 10:59:06 CDT 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Murthy Gandikota wrote:

> We make only solicited calls. That means, the people we are going to
> call have signed up with our service. As for technical details, I can
> think of a while loop in .ael to dial out. If you can please point me to
> a URL, I'd be grateful.

When I hear 'call center' I think of agents and queues.

What you describe sounds more 'automated' -- no humans involved.

I don't think looping in a dialplan is the right approach, since this
process (originating calls) is not executing in the context of a channel.

I think an external 'scheduler' either creating call files or issuing
originate requests via AMI is the way to go.

Something like:

// read the list of numbers from a text file or database

// for each number...

// write a 'call file' in /tmp/

// move the call file to the outgoing spool directory

// sleep a bit so you don't overwhelm Asterisk or your SIP provider

// lather, rinse, repeat

The call file asks Asterisk to dial the number. Once the call is answered,
the call continues at the context, extension, and priority specified in
the call file.

The dialplan plays the file, asks the questions, and writes the responses
to the database. You can pass variables (donor name, last year's donation)
in the call file that you can access as channel variables.

Based on the 'project' description, that's how I would approach it. For
specifics, feel free to break out your check book and contact me off-list
:)

--
Thanks in advance,