[asterisk-users] BLF and notifyringing in Asterisk 11

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue May 27 10:49:35 CDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Kevin Larsen
<kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get something working that is just not doing quite what I
> want. It may not be possible, but I figured it was worth asking about.
>
> The details:
> Asterisk 11.6.0
> Polycom SoundPoint IP650 phones running 4.03 firmware.
>
> We have a queue with 4 phones in it. ringinuse is set to yes and the stategy
> is ringall. In sip.conf, we have notifyringing set to yes as well. Asterisk
> is sending messages of the type application/dialog-info+xml to the phones.
>
> This works nicely in almost every scenario. We have one person on the queue
> who answers the phones first, the rest of us only pick up if he is already
> on another call and not picking up. We have ringinuse set to yes because
> there are many times that he will be able to end his current call to pick up
> the new one, so we want to keep this setting. However, if a call comes into
> the queue and he is on another line, we would like his blf light to stay at
> the inuse value (red on the polycom) and not the ringing value (flashing
> green on the polycoms).
>
> Now the problem. If I set notifyringing=no on the sip definition for his
> extension, it doesn't seem to get applied. If I set notifyringing=no in the
> general section, then it does get applied. However, if I put it in the
> general section, then none of the phones in my queue ever show a ringing
> state. When they are ringing, they show the solid red light of the in use
> state.
>
> What I would like is to see the following happen:
> If no one is on a call, all phones show ringing on their respective BLFs.
> If one phone is on a call and a second comes in, the phone on the call stays
> in use (solid red) and the rest show ringing (flashing green). So far, no
> matter what combinations of notifyringing I use, I can only get either all
> the phones to show ringing or all of them to show in use.
>
> The state being sent to the polycom is 'early' for a ringing phone and
> 'confirmed' for an in use phone. In the case of a phone that is both in use
> and ringing, I get a state of 'confirmed' followed immediately by a state of
> 'early'. This is all with notifyringing set to yes. If I read the
> description of notify ringing correctly in the sample sip.conf file, it
> seems like setting it to no should work, but it does not.
>
> ;notifyringing = no             ; Control whether subscriptions already
> INUSE get sent
>                                 ; RINGING when another call is sent
> (default: yes)
>
> Not sure if this rises to the level of a bug or is just my misunderstanding
> of how this should work. With the description above, I would expect that
> setting notifyringing to no would mean that I get the early state if the
> phone isn't already on a call, but would remain at a confirmed state if a
> second call came in while already on a call.

Unfortunately, notifyringing is only set in the [general] section in
sip.conf. It does not have a peer level override.

It would be nice if it was set on a peer by peer basis - that would be
a useful improvement.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager