[asterisk-users] Ringing issue

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Wed May 14 07:01:53 CDT 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 15:28:26 +0100
Gareth Blades <mailinglist+asterisk at dns99.co.uk> wrote:
> You would need to provide more information. Mobiles and landlines are
> not SIP and yet you say calls are coming into your asterisk over SIP.
> So what or who is doing the translation?

My origination provider.  While I do have a SIP address, no one is
calling it and other than local sets (which don't seem to have this
issue) all calls are coming through my single origination provider.
This is why I am confused.  Virtually all calls are coming from the
PSTN through one connection.  If all callers had the problem it would
almost make more sense.

> Initial thoughts are that it could be you are sending back SIP/180
> with no session progress and indicating ringing but the other end is
> misconfiguration and not generating its own ring tone. This is
> possible if you have multiple providers sending you calls or one
> provider using different kit for different geographic areas.

Geographic doesn't seem to be the issue.  Most calls are coming from
Toronto, Canada where I am.  They come from major carriers.  Rogers is
the largest cell carrier here and that appears to be one place where it
fails.  I am on Koodo which uses the Telus network, the second largest,
and mine works fine.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net