[asterisk-users] Ringing issue

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Wed May 14 10:15:11 CDT 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 15:28:26 +0100
Gareth Blades <mailinglist+asterisk at dns99.co.uk> wrote:
> Initial thoughts are that it could be you are sending back SIP/180
> with no session progress and indicating ringing but the other end is
> misconfiguration and not generating its own ring tone. This is
> possible if you have multiple providers sending you calls or one
> provider using different kit for different geographic areas.

I seem to have solved this, sorta.  My Provider, Thinktel in Canada,
normally sets "PBX plays ringback" to false meaning that they generate
the ring tone in all cases.  By mistake it was set to true on my
trunk.  They changed that and now the callers are hearing a ring tone.

It's still an interesting question I think.  What if I wanted to do
something with early media?  That is not possible with this setup.

Anyway, here it is for future searchers.  Talk to your origination
provider if you have this problem.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net