[asterisk-users] Multicast RTP

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Thu May 8 15:42:58 CDT 2014

> From: Josh Metzger <joshdmetzger at gmail.com>

> Interesting.  I thought the latest Polycom software supported
> multicast, but that Polycom forum link says otherwise.  What DOES
> work is using the built-in paging feature, so maybe the solution, in
> this case, is to do it without Asterisk at all.  We currently have a
> setup similar to what you have which works, but isn't as optimal as
> doing it multicast (lots of phones leads to the message getting
> chopped for some phones).  In any case, thanks for the info!

If I recall correctly, the only reason we didn't like the built in paging
feature is that it would put a paging soft button on every phone where we
enabled it. It was unacceptable to the powers that be to have that button
there, but we still needed to be able to page from all the phones in an
emergency. Thus we went with the Asterisk paging solution using a
dialgroup. In our setup we are paging around 100 phones and everything is
able to stand up to the load. A much larger setup, though, and it likely
would not work as well. It does take our Asterisk server to between 40 and
60 per cent cpu usage while the paging is occurring, where it normally
runs less than 5%. Audio quality remains normal. As it is emergency only,
that was deemed acceptable.