[asterisk-users] Limit Asterisk

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Wed Jul 23 15:29:38 CDT 2014

Your bottleneck is most likely your drive bandwidth.  Even with SAS drives,
you'll need to move to a raid 5+ solution with 6+ drives to continue to
increase the concurrent calls, or use a storage appliance.

To confirm this, install the tool nmon and use the v and d options to bring
up the resource usage indicators and drive busy/throughput statistics.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Eduardo Leones <
eduardo at ypytecnologia.com.br> wrote:

> people
>
> I have a running Asterisk 1.8.28 in great Dell server with two xeon
> processors and 16gb of ram and HD SAS 15k (Raid 1). This server is
> recording all calls (placed to record the audio in a ram disk), the entire
> CDR goes straight to MySQL by cdr_mysql.so. Each call runs some validation
> and AGI's have an auto dialer system that generates calls over the manager.
> Calls originate and terminate via SIP (no transcode).
>
> With this structure, even being a great server, we can not spend 150
> simultaneous calls. When it reaches 140, the load average goes up a lot and
> the calls start to get very bad audio, tear, etc.. Using the top we see
> that all the processing is for asterisk. In this scenario, I think there is
> some limitation in Asterisk, or even the manager due to the auto dialer.
>
> Can anyone give me any tips where I can look where is the bottleneck? I
> need to get at least 250 calls that server quality.
>
> tks
>

> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org