[asterisk-users] G729 Licensing Revisited - I'm Sorry!

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Thu Feb 27 21:55:37 CST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014 10:02 PM, "Paul Belanger" <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>
wrote:

> No such thing as 'free open source g729 license', if you actually read
the site:

There is regarding the copyright on the code. The fact it is also patent
encumbered is a different issue.

> DISCLAIMER: You might have to pay royalty fees to the G.729/723.1
> patent holders for using their algorithm.
>
> So, basically you are illegal using them if you didn't pay for them.

Not true. He said it was a lab setup. It is totally legit to use patented
processes in an evaluation/lab environment.

> > 3) Is there a performance/stability/security gain when using the
> > commercial vs. open source version or vice versa.
> >
> See above about about open source license.

Your comment about open source is irrelevant to performance, stability, and
security. WRT these criteria, I would be surprised if there is much of a
difference. The free software isn't locked to a mother board, so that might
count towards performance by some measures.

Now having said that. I agree once you leave the lab environment and decide
you need g.729, you will unfortunatly need a licence to keep using it.

The real question is: is there really any choice other than Digium for the
licence? Due to the dual licensing of the asterisk code, even if you could
license the codec elsewhere, you might be violating Digium's OSS license
when you don't but their commercial asterisk license.

Cheers,
Darryl