[asterisk-users] G729 Licensing Revisited - I'm Sorry!

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Feb 27 21:01:18 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Jayson Devor <jayson.devor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are looking to transition our 23 channels from testing/lab into
> production. During testing we used the free open source g729 license
> using the instructions found here:
>
> http://blog.manhag.org/2010/05/installing-the-free-g729-codec-for-asterisk/

No such thing as 'free open source g729 license', if you actually read the site:

DISCLAIMER: You might have to pay royalty fees to the G.729/723.1
patent holders for using their algorithm.

So, basically you are illegal using them if you didn't pay for them.

> A little more about our setup. All recordings have been converted to
> G729, all voicemail messages are also in G729, finally allow=g729,
> disallow=all is specified in our config.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there anything we overlooked in our attempt to implement g729
> passthough, and stop all transcoding efforts?
> 2) do we still need to purchase 23 G729 licenses? If so, is asterisk
> 10$ license recognized by the patent holders (ie, is Digium authorized
> to sell the license on behalf of the patent holders)?
Yes, getting a license from digium should be sufficient to cover your
usage.  Plus you'll be supporting the project.

> 3) Is there a performance/stability/security gain when using the
> commercial vs. open source version or vice versa.

See above about about open source license.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)