[asterisk-users] G729 - what happens if licences used up?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 11:28:21 CST 2014

In article <CALLKq0RpimD05jz=OsBGjyDx-41UeBOhXMFT_SKwFJT51kohwQ at mail.gmail.com>,
Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk> wrote:
> > I haven't been able to find the answer online, and am not currently
> > able to conduct an experiment to find the answer...
> >
> > I understand that in a SIP call where G729 has been negotiated as the
> > preferred codec, a G.729 licence is not consumed until there is a need
> > to perform transcoding, e.g. play a non-g729 sound, or do voicemail,
> > or enter a Meetme, etc.
> >
> > What happens when a SIP call in progress needs a G.729 licence and
> > they are all in use already? Does the call fail, or go silent, or do a
> > re-INVITE to negotiate another codec?
> >
> > I'm interested in what happens on Asterisk 1.2 (for a legacy system),
> > and also whether it is any different on later versions.
> >
> The question depends if you are offering up other codecs or not.  If
> you only using g729, the call will fail to establish because lack of
> codecs.  If you offer a both g729 and ulaw, then ulaw will be used.

The codecs offered by each end would be g729, alaw and ulaw.

I guess my point is that the licence is NOT required to negotiate codecs
and establish the call, e.g. if g.729 sounds are installed and calls are
pass-through, then no transcoding is required.

So the call will negotiate g729 and get established, and then if later
the dialplan calls something that requires transcoding, the licence is
requested at that time. What happens if there is not one available?
Can/will it do a re-INVITE to change codec, or does the call fail,
or does it continue but go silent?

Cheers
Tony
--